On one of my first trips to Australia to visit my in-laws, I was introduced to Doddy's tuna pie. It has since become a family favourite. Whenever Kate and Emily come home they always ask to have tuna pie as one of the lunches or dinners during their stay at home.
It is really easy to make. You can prepare it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it. You just take it out of the fridge and pop it in the oven. In 40 minutes you’ll have a lovely meal.
I always serve it with a lovely French salad with Chris's amazing salad dressing (which I will post at another time) and homemade bread.
Tuna Crunch Pie
1½ cups flour 3 eggs
½ cup grated cheese 1-cup sour cream
1-teaspoon salt 1-cup grated cheddar cheese
1-teaspoon paprika 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ cup butter 1 small onion - finely chopped
1 large tin tuna ¼ teaspoon dill or fennel
2 drops hot pepper sauce
1. Mix flour cheese, salt & paprika in a bowl.
2. Rub in butter. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture.
3. Press remaining mix into the base and sides of a well greased 20cm springform tin.
4. Drain and flake fish – then arrange in dish.
5. Beat eggs & stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over flaked fish.
6. Sprinkle with reserved cup of crunch mixture.
7. Bake in a moderate oven (190’ – 200’) for 35 – 40 minutes or until set& golden brown.
8. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This can be made in the morning and left in the fridge to cook later.